Many of you know that feeling of having a meal prepared, and in the oven, before 6PM. It's a friggen, win. This meal in particular is one that can make life, just a little bit easier. It's meatless, so you're not left swearing mid-way through your day when you realize you forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer, and it only requires 8 ingredients, 5 of which you probably already have in your home. Oh, and it's delicious. Enjoy working Mama's, enjoy.
- 2 medium eggplant - sliced into 1" slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt/pepper
- prepared tomato sauce/or store bought
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil leaves
- panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place eggplant slices onto foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt/pepper. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until softened.
- Prepare tomato sauce, slice moz, wash basil while eggplant is baking.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and top each with a thin slice of mozzarella, return to oven and remove when cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
- While eggplant is in the oven, in a small bowl combine panko and Parmiggiano.
- To assemble, stack three pieces of eggplant, if possible decreasing in size as you go up. Add a tablespoon of tomato sauce, and 1 basil leaf.
- Prior to serving garnish with 1 teaspoon of panko mixture.